Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Matzoh Brittle

Another shout out to Jeannie Ginsberg! Stephen's mom sent us a package of treats, and inside was some Matzoh Brittle. I had never had it before and it was so delicious that I had to make my own. The original recipe called for chocolate on top (which I made) but Jeannie also came up with the ingenious idea of topping the brittle with cinnamon/sugar (which I also made). The recipe is below:

-Preheat oven to 350
-Line a cookie sheet with foil. (Yes, use foil. I didn't have any so I used wax paper which was quite a dumb idea. I swear I really am in graduate school. The brittle ended up sticking to the wax paper and it was a huge pain to get it off). If the cookie sheet doesn't have sides use the foil to form sides.
-Place sheets of matzoh or saltines edge to edge coving the cookie sheet, like so:

-Melt 2 sticks of butter in a pan
-Add 1 cup of sugar
-Bring to a rolling boil
-Pour mixture over the matzoh bake for 13 minutes
-Remove from oven and cover with semi sweet chocolate chips- when they are melted spread evenly
-Put the cookie sheet in the refrigerator to harden chocolate
-Break into pieces and enjoy!

The finished product:And for the cinnamon Matzoh Brittle, follow the same recipe, but instead of spreading the chocolate after taking it out of the oven, spread with cinnamon/sugar. Be generous with the cinnamon/sugar...it takes quite a bit. I have to say that this modification is delicious...I might almost like it better than the chocolate. I know...blasphemy.

1 comment:

Contributors