Friday, April 3, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes

This was not my most successful baking endeavor but I'll blog about it anyway. I wanted to try baking these because when you're combining chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes, how can you go wrong? Well, there are a few ways. Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 semisweet chocolate chips (I decided to use mini M&Ms instead)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.

In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together brown sugar and butter until well combined. Add vanilla, beating well. Add egg, beating well. Add flour mixture and beat just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.


Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated over for 18-23 minutes or until cupcakes are puffed and golden (they will be a little soft to the touch in the center and look somewhat undercooked).











Here's where I went wrong
:

Let cool IN PAN on rack for 15 minutes or until cooled completely. Remove from pan.

If you don't let them cool before you take them out, the sides of the cupcakes expand and the centers sink in. It's not pretty. I ended up with crater cupcakes, but decided to go ahead and frost them anyway. The recipe for chocolate fudge frosting is below (another place where I went slightly wrong):

-1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
-3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted (I used regular Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder because that's all I had)
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
-2 tbsp chocolate cream liqueur (I used vanilla because I don't have chocolate cream liqueur lying around)
-1 tbsp strong brewed coffee or milk (I used 1/2 tbsp of buttermilk because, for some reason, I had that and not regular milk)
-pinch of salt

In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process ingredients, scraping down sides as necessary. (I used a hand mixer because that's all I had).

Now, it's hard to say where this frosting experiment went wrong since there were so many possibilities, but the frosting isn't the best I've tasted. It's not terrible, which is why I went ahead and still put it on the cupcakes (that and because the frosting hides the gaping holes in the center) but it's a little chocolatey for my taste and a bit think. Eh, better luck next time.


1 comment:

  1. I think these look delicious though...were they tasty? And you did a pretty good job of covering up the craters.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors