Thursday, March 26, 2009

Peanut Butter Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Since I love PB and chocolate I decided to make this cake for a church function...the Irish aren't big on PB but I thought "what the hey, I'll be crazy." It turned out ok. It was super easy and the frosting was awesome and the cake was good but could have been more peanut buttery.






Here is the recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook:

2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/4 cups milk
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs

1. Heat oven to 350 and grease 9 x 13 pan or 2 8 inch round pans.
2. In large bowl beat all ingredients until smooth. Pour into pans.
3. Bake about 30 minutes. I had to add quite a bit of baking time b/c of my lame oven. For the round pans let cool 10 minutes and then pop out on wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine (I used butter)
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup of baking cocoa
3-4 tbsp milk

Beat together all ingredients except for milk. Add milk about 1/2 tbsp at a time until it is the desired consistency. I think I ended up using a bit less than 3 tbsp.

If I make this again I think I would add pb chips to the cake batter to up the pb quotient.

3 comments:

  1. I could be blind, but where is the PB in the recipe? Also, how much would you "up" it by? (for those of us that are baking and recipe challenged!)
    -Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey...i am an idiot. to make the cake peanut butter (it was originally a yellow cake recipe) just substitute pb for the butter/margarine. I wouldn't necessarily up the pb but would maybe add some pb chips. sorry about that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super excited to see what Katie and Amy have in store for us with the baking! Always looking for some good recipes :)

    Check out my last blog post from Feb 11 recipe of Oooey Gooey Cakes (by Paula Dean)... SO good!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors